- 2017 SAIL Magazine BEST BOATS WINNER.
- 2017 Cruising World Magazine DOMESTIC BOAT OF THE YEAR.
- Click here to view the Catalina 425 Spec Sheet.
- Click here to read the Cruising World Magazine Review.
Internationally-recognized Catalina Yachts of Largo, recently debuted its all-new Catalina 425. This new design is the result of popular demand for this size yacht – big enough for extended cruising, yet small enough to be easily handled by two people. True to the 5 Series philosophy, the new 425 is contemporary in style, and traditional in function and practicality.
“Our popular 42 that was launched in 1989 enjoyed a long production run of well over 1,000 hulls,” reported Frank Butler, founder of Catalina Yachts. “In response to the continued high demand fora 42-foot cruising yacht, I’m proud of our team effort in designing the new 425,” he said.
The 425 incorporates all of Catalina’s hallmark features: a functional, spacious cockpit, a comfortable, carefully detailed interior, and all the 5 Series features that have redefined the Catalina brand. The deck includes twin helms on performance pedestals with pre-stretched cables. The hull features six large fixed ports recessed into the hull for lots of light and visibility. A self-tacking jib and jib traveler are standard, and main and jib sheets are lead to the helm for efficient short-handed sailing. The forward owner’s cabin features a large centerline berth with an elevating adjustable mattress. There are starboard and port aft cabins; the latter is easily convertible to a storage cabin with a “gull wing cockpit hatch”. A central accessible mechanical space provides excellent access to primary engine, generator, water heater and air conditioners, which simplifies maintenance and inspections necessary for systems reliability.
The 425 is the 6th model in the 5 Series, where there is a bold emphasis on strength; a five-part construction with a dedicated structural grid insures ruggedly-built boats that stand up to the test of time. Unique design features include a watertight StrikeZone™ collision bulkhead forward; DeepDefense™ rudder system for failsafe steering and a T-Beam MastStep™ structure, with all the benefits of a deckstepped mast and the strength of a keel-stepped mast. The SecureSocket™ mast support/chainplate system facilitates perfect load resolution and watertight integrity. Knitted fabrics create a stronger laminate without additional weight. Catalina’s trademark lead keels absorb impact for safety and require less maintenance than other materials. All systems are designed following the recommendations and standards of the ABYC and IMCI to earn the highest rating of Category A – Unlimited Offshore.
Catalina’s philosophy is straightforward: Design boats that stand up to real world conditions and sail well. They must be comfortable above and below, easy to maintain and hold their value. A commitment to owner satisfaction has enhanced customer confidence and loyalty that has made Catalina the preeminent builder of sailboats in the United States with an extensive national and international dealer network.
Catalina 425 New Features & Available Options
- Selden spar w/swept spreaders and forward lower shrouds for mast tune control
- Second generation (lead not cast iron) Catalina wing keel design
- Self-tacking Jib, plus long inboard genoa track for overlapping headsails
- Mainsheet and Jib sheet leads and jib furling line lead aft to helmsman, available electric winch
- New style wheel pods from Edson
- Life raft locker in stern
- Starboard cockpit settee folds out to offer a double sunning / sleeping lounge in cockpit
- Variable color choices for nighttime cockpit lighting
- Refrigerated bin in center of cockpit table
- Bow Sprit with Integrated anchor chocks and attachment for tack of A-sail
- Really large anchor locker with watertight collision bulkhead
- Anchor windlass control available at helm position
- Stern rail top bar extends all the way to the life line boarding gate
- Companionway hatch boards disappear into a recessed compartment
- All deck lines can cascade into subfloor line box for tidy storage
- Gentle slope to the companionway steps
- Separate 12v wine cooler
- Quiet flush electric heads
- New second generation inner spring mattresses in owner and guest cabins
- Stainless steel force ten stove with oven
- LED lighting with dimmer switches, touch operable reading lights
- Full Access to machinery via the full length portside access panels in the flex cabin
- New common rail Yanmar diesel
- Two diesel fuel tanks