S/V Red Witch
John G. Alden-designed wooden 2-Masted Gaff-Rigged Topsail Schooner
Red Witch is an authentic replica of an 1830’s Great Lakes Working Schooner. She is U.S. Coast Guard licensed to accommodate 49 daily passengers up to 3 miles offshore. She was designed by John G. Alden and built by Nathaniel Zirlott in Bayou La Batre, Alabama in 1986. Her owner was Dr. Raymond Ashley, the current Executive Director of the San Diego Maritime Museum. Dr. Ashley sailed her from Alabama, through the Gulf of Mexico and Panama Canal to San Diego. Then he sailed Red Witch to San Diego. He then sailed her to Maui. Then returned to San Diego. She was then sold and trucked to the Great Lakes. The current owner purchased Red Witch in Chicago in 2011. She now sails from Kenosha Harbor (Wisconsin). Her licensure is valid and current (COI, COD, etc.). The current captain has safely carried approximately 32,000 passengers aboard Red Witch.